![]() |
| Most individuals see Su Yee like this...can't really see that little scar under her nose. Her expression is kinda' how we all felt about attending Cleft Palate Clinic...really, do I have too! |
![]() |
| She has a beautiful smile and gorgeous eyes. |
She is growing and developing right on track. The Vitamin D deficiency and concerns with spine, rib and head bone shape and growth are correcting themselves with our regimen of good nutrition and the the natural course of time.
One of her ear tubes is in place and the other one is dislodged. They were able to remove the tube, clean out the wax and found a bit of fluid behind one ear drum. Hearing was assessed as OK but needs to be reviewed every three months to see if the fluid resolves itself or if she needs another ear tube.
![]() |
| Occassionally the overbite is noticeable |
Pathetically I had promised a sucker for good behavior at the end of a very long day. The dentist was her second last appointment. She kept repeating this question over and over in the tiny room with the Ped Dentist and the four dentistry students! I had to keep my promise so I found myself profusely promising to brush my childs teeth and apologing that I had to use food as a bribe. And to think that I am a Registered Dietitian...just a little humbling! I wanted to shout "All foods can fit Right?" :0
![]() |
| The fistula is rarely visible...only when she is super happy |
What a treat for Su Yee to have her picture taken with Dr. Zondervan.
We had a great chat about her progress. Her speech has the typical cleft palate high pitch nasal quality with many ommision and articulation errors, but she is still young. We are currently receiving speech and language help biweekly which in 6 short weeks has resulted huge improvement. Non-family members now understand her much better. It was decided that our next visit will be at 5 years old when we will begin discussions with the cleft palate team about the oral surgery to close the fistula, the need for braces, and possibly a tooth. Any other cosmetic revisions won't happen until she is done growing in her late teens (and only if she feels a strong need as we personally think she is beautiful).





What a great update! She really has such a great smile - Tahlia loves looking at your blog!! Su Yee is getting so big and it sounds like she is growing up fast(sniff, sniff).
ReplyDeleteThose are VERY long days! I reward myself with a Starbucks Hot Chocolate on those days...makes for a better day. I'm so glad you got to see Dr. Zondervan. I really wish he hadn't retired. Do you know of any awesome surgeons in Regina...or Edmonton for that matter. I wonder if Tim R would take out of town patients...I'll have to check with Paige when she returns from China.
ReplyDeleteIt is a long day, but like you mentioned - so very nice to have all the appointments in one day and in one building. Su Yee indeed looks very beautiful!
ReplyDelete