Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ending on a High Note...Recital 2013 KDF

I love dance. Two science degree's (nutrition and kinesiology) and a lot of soul searching happened before I decided to teach dance. It was a long journey and one with many good life lessons. I love all that dance has taught me.

I started dancing on stage at age nine. A late bloomer. Back then I LOVED to move to music. Mom never told me to practice dance. In fact she most often told me to "stop dancing" especially in the grocery store, in the living room, on the lawn... I was a little obsessed with dance as a kid. I figured I had a lot to catch up on to be "good". I loved performing too. It can be rather intoxicating (once you ditch the butterflies)!

Now I have the privilege of teaching dance (ballet) for my 2nd full season at Kristy's Dance Fusion.

In the upper levels of ballet being "on balance" or "centered" is really important. The movements require a delicate balance of athletic strength and a certain finesse that make the hard movements look exquisitely effortless. It's a game of human movement physics puzzles, put to music. Dancers will tell you their bodies are their instruments. The upper levels require A LOT of practice and patience. It is not easy to conform ones body to the required ballet standard and our genetic pre-dispositions' don't always co-operate with our hearts desire. I LOVE how hard my students try to get it just right!

Last June (2012) I travelled to San Francisco and was privileged to watch the San Francisco Ballet School's Graduation Recital. Western Symphony and some contemporary work by George Balachine (NYC Ballet) were featured. I fell in LOVE with Balanchine's ballet. Mesmorized.

This year I decided on exploring the work of the Balachine with my dancers. Balanchine dances are NOT easy. He was a "modern" choreographer that broke more than a few rules of traditional choreograhy. The movements can look deceptively simple in their steps and patterns, when actually it is very hard. Quick transfers, unusual weight changes, fast steps on each beat make the choreography challenging. You must be "on balance" to get this work right.

I, absent mindedly, did not take one single pictures of our vibrant Western Symphony Variation; Balanchine's lively celebration of Americana music and the Wild West. This saloon style choreography was enough to take your breath away...if you were dancing. The steps were FAST (petite allegro) and a certainly a great cardio workout for the young ladies in the group! I will have to get a copy of their class photo somehow?

I created a variation of "Diamonds" from Balanchine's "Jewels"series for the seniors ballet students.
Courtesy of Dave Meyer's Photography

These seven lovely young ladies (pictured dancing above) worked so hard to get this variatoin just right. They did well in competition, especially if you factor in it was their very first competitive pointe number! 

Courtesy of Dave Meyer's Photography

Unfortunately one of the dancers had a Grade 12 graduation which conflicted with the final Recital.

We were all very unhappy about Miss Chantal's departure. When you dance like this, as part of a long-standing team, you leave a big hole in hearts along with the routine.

By this point in the year, as I tried to balance work and home life, I can honestly say I was deliriously tired. One day I thought it would be easier to dance in Chantal's spot than re-choregraph the entire number. The students could carry on as usual and I like an understudy would just jump in her spot. Certainly less stress for them. I love the stage so I wasn't suffering any performance anxiety...just yet. How hard could it be? Did I mention earlier that Diamonds Variation by Balanchine looks deceptively simple, but certainly is NOT (as evidenced by my huffing and puffing by the second minute on stage!) 

I love how gracious these young dancers are. They helped me get things just right. For a moment they were the teacher(s) reminding me not to mirror my own choreography, or to straigthen my knees and turn in the right direction!  

On a high note and some sore old feet I danced as part of this senoir ballet troupe for the 2013 Recital.

The perfectionist in me thinks I could have done better, but I am GRATEFUL for the opportunity to be on the stage no matter what I really looked like. It reminds me of just how much the dancers must go through to put themselves out there (oh the nerves) and share their love of dance with their audience. What a delicate balance! 

I still really love to dance but even more I love TEACHING and SHARING this performing art form with my students...

even with all that "SASSY SAUCINESS" they give me in class! ;)

Going to miss teaching these hard working ladies over the summer but looking forward to a good rest before we tackle more exciting challenges next fall!  








2 comments:

  1. It is great when you can find a job that you are passionate about! I wish I had been put into dance as a child... I think I missed my calling and would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome to do what you love. You fit right in with your dancers! Love watching dance...wish I was a good dancer...too much menno blood in me! lol!

    ReplyDelete