Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mid-Autumn Moon Festival



Mid-Autumn Moon Festival 

中秋节


"Then we thank the moon for bringing us together and send it our secret wishes....this night of the mid-autumn moon festival" - Grace Lin-


We quietly celebrated the Moon Festival early so that Patrick's parents Hai Piao and Peng Jan could be present.
 


Family time that evening included a homemade supper followed by some time at the park to swing and slide. Even Jan got in on the fun and had a "swinging" good time! 


Once home, Su Yee dressed in her special clothes and new Jade pendant (gift from Nie Nie and YeYe) and helped us all read Grace Lin's book "Thanking the Moon Celebrating Mid-Autumn Moon Festival".  

MaMa prepared the round cups of tea and set out the Mooncakes that Nie Nie and YeYe brought from Toronto. 


Eating mooncakes, sharing family time, expressing gratitude, and admiring the full round moon at harvest time are all part of Hakka tradition for the moonfestival. (http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/culture/middle-autumn-festival-custom.htm)

 Jan can also remember setting free floating lanterns as part of her family traditions.  I hope to encorporate lanterns into our future celebrations once Su Yee is a bit older. In honour of Hai Piao's longstanding love for martial arts ( a former Tai chi and WuShu Kung Fu master) we ended our adult family time off by watching a Jackie Chan movie! Quality time for sure! 
























I love Grace Lin's "Thanking the Moon" book. It has helped me to quickly understand the significance of this holiday to chinese families and distilled down the tradition so that it is manageable for our North American lives. I still have a lot to learn about chinese customs and cultural practices but I am thankful that Patrick's family is there to help. Someday I hope to have a big picnic inviting our family and friends, setting up glowing and floating lanterns, eating mooncakes and pomelo's, reciting some chinese poetry or song, and admiring the fullness of the autumn moon. Until that day I will cherish the time we had just to stop for a moment, give thanks for our blessings and enjoy some quiet time with family over a hot cup of tea and sweet mooncakes.




4 comments:

  1. I will have to get that book. We have a book called Moonbeams, Dumplings and Dragon Boats, but it is full of superstition and way over the girls head at this age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up your book...I will have to get it too as it contains all the missing details from the ones we have been reading! Grace Lin also has a book on Chinese New Year that your girls will likely enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a wonderful, quiet time celebrating with family. Wasn't the moon impressive?

    I love Grace Lin's book too! We went out with three other families for dinner at a local Chinese restaurant, but I forgot to bring my camera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe next year we can attend the moon festival with you. Su Yee is gorgeous as always in her Moon Festival Dress.

    ReplyDelete